Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Worst and Best Show I ever did

Eight years ago I brought my Airstream to Phoenix right after Christmas. I proceded to work on raw castings for 30 straight days at the casting house I was then using in preparation for the first time I was going to participate in the Tucson show in the spring. For 30 days I ground, tumbled, polished, bagged and tagged my inventory.

I then drove to Tucson and parked my Airstream. It was raining and it continued to rain for almost a week. My booth was in a tent. I truthfully had no idea what I was doing. I had everything bagged and tagged on gridwall with a table in the front of the booth with samples. No one could see my work, especially since I had no lights.

Every morning for 6 days I woke up in tears. The total sales at the end of the 6 days were $1000. Most of those sales were to friends. I had no idea what I had done wrong. I couldn't just blame it on the rain.

What I didn't know is that I had met people that would make a difference in my future. I met Daniel Grandi who owns Racecar Casting and now does an excellent job making my work look beautiful. I met the lovely couple that owned Handfast which I purchased in 2008. Those people who saw me in that first worst show and still believed in me. Many are still in my life and definitely in my thoughts as I prepare for my 8th show in Tucson.

No comments:

Post a Comment